Thursday, April 12, 2007

Even The Fashion Police Can Use Brutality

Did any one feel insulted by the article entitled Socks and sandals: A spring style guide for guys that was published in the 3/30/07 issue of the Acorn. I felt that the author bluntly insulted many people do to their fashion sense. Don't get me wrong the Acorn should have published the article after all if the author had submitted it to this blog it would have been posted as well. I just feel that I should express my oipion that the article took on a very presumptuous tone. For example this quote "By no means do I expect boys to risk distorting their comfort with their sexual orientation by buying out the J. Crew spring line, but the following carnal sins should be acknowledged." My distaste for J Crew by no means is related to my sexual orientation. For me I much rather wear something that does not say "I’m Preppy look how much money I have, but this is my opinion and I try not to judge other based on it. I hope others will offer me the same courtesy. After reading the article I felt insulted, after all I violate many of the so called "Carnal sins" of fashion that are described. I enjoy spring because it warm and it allows all those who are forced to bundle up to break out the cloths that they like and that they feel express who they are. For me high fashion is all the different styles one can find on campus. I give my best wishes to the author of this article and hope she enjoys the season even with the blatant fashion “mistakes” because they will always going to be there.


What do y'all think?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't by saying that people who wear jcrew do so to say "I am preppy and look at how much money I have" judging in itself? In my opinion whatever another person choses to wear should not make a difference in anyone else's life - so what if they are rich? What's it to you?

Anonymous said...

spooky-
dizzamn, son. the article attacks no one. personally, i liked it, even though i have a bad habit of sporting the tank top and blatant bra strap look myself. why get so offended? dress how you want. the article writer is just expressing her distaste for some very gross styles that are all too common. i also happen to know that youre not guilty of most of them. give peace a chance.

savagery&grace

p.s. chucks and shorts WILL make you look like a duck, that was hilarious.

Anonymous said...

The article in question is written in an overtly tongue-in-cheek style, and much of the "offensive" content is a result of this.

Further, the author never insults anyone based on what they cannot afford to wear. She mostly gives opinions on what items should NOT be bought or worn. When she offers suggestions on alternatives, she is never brand-specific.

Mostly, thought, we should understand that this article IS all about her opinion. Nothing is offensive about expressing an opinion, even if it does express a standard that some can not live up to (which this author does not).

-Enoch

Anonymous said...

I don't think that there is really anything offensive about it. The article is just written in a very judgmental way. Its like that show with those two women who attack and critize what everyone is wearing at award shows. The old fashion writer for the acorn took a different and better approach by being more positive.

Anonymous said...

I'd say that any male who takes the slightest consideration in what he's wearing at any given time is already familiar with most of these rules.

That being said, there are always exceptions. Wallet chains, criticized in the article, often complement the 'rocker' look, as long as they aren't overly garish. The same goes with ripped-up jeans (concerning the writer's stance on clothes with tears).

The rest of the article is painfully tame by fashion standards, although one has to consider that the article itself was written with the lowest common denominator in mind. The rules about wifebeaters, muscle tees, tank tops, and under armor could have been condensed into one simple note, there was really no need to write four separate rules about what is essentially the same piece of clothing.

One final point, as the writer of the article made a grave violation. Collars should never, never, never be popped. "Obnoxiously preppy"? Anyone who pops his collar is a fucking tool. It's not a matter of 'personal taste', popping collars is idiotic.

Mission Statment

This forum is intended to be an alternate source of information for the Drew University campus. Stories and opinions will not be censored. This a forum were students can contribute and comment on ideas and information pertaining to all aspects of life off and on campus. Frustrated? Impressed? Share it here. Leave comments even if it has nothing to do with anything. Share what you want to say!

<--- SUBMIT YOUR IDEAS AND TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS--->

We want to emphasize that his blog does not have an agenda or a fixed point of view. No one post reflects this blog's view. If you find that a post's view differs from yours, let people know. Remeber that as long as a post follows the site rules there is no reason to delete it. Post a comment, or send in your own post in responce. This is a collegic enviorment remember that free speech entitles everyone to there own opinon.

P.S: Rembember To check out the old posts and read other comments

-Spooky D (The Administrator)